Parent Request - Educating Children with Disabilities

By Parent Request

If your child is struggling with academics, or if you think that your child may have a disability of some kind, you can request an evaluation of your child. The school has the legal obligation to evaluate your child within 60 days, or to give you in writing its reasons for refusing to do so, called prior written notice. The law provides several mechanisms to parents for disputing a refusal, or you may pursue an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE).


Drupal Block to Reference

Links to special education articles
IDEA & Section 504ConceptsFair and Appropriate Public EducationChild FindKinds of SchoolsPublic SchoolsPrivate SchoolsSpecial SchoolsDisability Evaluating and Assessingby Parent Requestby School RequestIndependent Educational EvaluationOngoing EvaluationsSpecial Education and Related ServicesSection 504 PlanIndividualized Educational ProgramExtended School YearTransition PlanDispute ProcessDue ProcessState ComplaintOffice of Civil RightsAdministrative AppealMediationDiscplineChange of PlacementManifestation DeterminationInterim Alternative Educational SettingTerms and Definitions

Because of the generality of the information on this site, it may not apply to a given place, time, or set of facts. It is not intended to be legal advice, and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations