School Request - Educating Children with Disabilities

clickable chart on educating children with disabilities - navigating the maze 

by School Request

If your child’s teacher or other educational professional thinks that your child may have a disability of some kind, the professional can request an evaluation of your child. Your informed consent is required. You can agree for your child to be evaluated, or you can refuse. If you refuse, then school will either drop the matter or file a due process complaint against you. (There are exceptions to the need to obtain parental permission, such as when the parents are missing or when parental rights have been terminated.)

clickable chart on educating children with disabilities


Because of the generality of the information on this site, it may not apply to a given place, time, or set of facts. It is not intended to be legal advice, and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations